Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day number twenty three :: child like faith

For awhile now I have been trying to figure out what Matthew 18:3 was trying to say:

And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."


I think I truly knew the essence of the verse, but it still wasn't very clear to me... until recently.

My nephew and I headed out to walmart, in hopes of finding everything I needed for a preschool lesson at church. He loved being able to pick out the "little kids" craft. I told him how in church the next day, we would be talking about how Jesus is going to come back one day and those who truly believe that Jesus died for our sins would live forever with Him. He didnt really have much to say about this, but I could tell his little seven year old mind was thinking.

Finally, after getting all the odds and ends from walmart, we made our way to the cash register. About half way there, Dominic perked up and practically shouted, "Wait!" Being the typical Aunt, I thought he wanted candy for being good in the store, but looking at him, he was not centered on the candy aisle. Instead he was looking at an older man, standing in line at the register. "We need to tell him about Jesus, aunt Lauren. Can we? Jesus might come back tonight, and it wont be nice if we dont tell him."

I literally had to do everything I could not to start crying right there in Walmart. My seven year old nephew was showing a child like faith, and being completely intentional. He didnt care what people thought.

I want that faith.

He asked me what he should do, and I couldn't muster up any words. Within seconds the older man had paid for his items and was heading out the door. Almost as soon as he stepped outside, his wallet fell out of his back pocket and it took only a second after my nod of approval for Dominic to run at full speed to the man. Dominic picked up the wallet and ran to the doors to give it to him. He was upset that he didn't tell the man about Jesus, but I said that sometimes we do nice things for people and they can see Jesus through that action.



I really dont need to explain why I am thankful for this. I couldn't believe how blessed I was to be able to witness a verse that I have been wanting to see for so long... and through my own nephew. :)

1 comment: